I named this drink a “holiday” nog because I wasn’t sure that people would get the nog reference without the holiday present. Sure, we know about egg nog — and for us vegans, we know about almond nog. But when you just hear the word “nog”, does your mind automatically go to the famous holiday drink? Actually, I don’t think that word is used anywhere else except for that drink! But maybe I was worrying a bit too much. Maybe I should have more faith in people and their ability to identify extremely specific holiday drinks out of season. I mean, I’m sure anyone could recognize a pumpkin spice latte in, say, the middle of July? Sure they could. I think the thing that may throw them off about this drink is the color. Most “nogs” are a creamy, tan color — not a creamy green color. And maybe the green hue and holiday reference could even make this drink seem a little grinch-y… but with three simple ingredients, and a dose of iron and vitamin C, this drink is anything but mean.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 cups sweetened, vanilla flavored almond milk*
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach (I prefer fresh spinach for this recipe over frozen)
- Nutmeg to garnish
What to Do:
- Place almond milk and spinach in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a serving glass, then, sprinkle with a layer of nutmeg to garnish and enjoy.
* Almond milk is thicker and creamier so I suggest using this milk over a thinner milk like rice or coconut milk (coconut milk might also affect the flavor). Maybe oat or hemp milk might work, but make sure you get the sweetened vanilla varieties to achieve the flavor of the nog. If you can not get the sweetened vanilla variety, you can add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to this recipe and then add agave or another vegan liquid sweetener to taste.
Date posted on Instagram: 1/15/19