This is another classic Italian dish that has been veganized. I was also going to take credit for veggitizing the sauce, until I found out that traditional bolognese sauce already has veggies in it. However, I might be able to take credit for “re-veggitizing” the sauce, because I added my own mix of veggies other than the traditional variety. By veggitizing something, my goal is to add veggies to every meal, even meals that don’t usually have veggies associated with them. This dish may not fall into that category, but give me a meal and I’ll find a way to add veggies to it. Tofu scram? Add veggies. Lasagna? Veggie lasagna. Strawberry shortcake? Strawberry shortcake with broccoli! Okay, this system may not be perfected just yet.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 1/2 cups Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles (1 bag)
- 1 box of spaghetti, use about 1/2 the box of noodles (I used Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Spaghetti)
- 1 large zucchini squash (I mixed half yellow and half green)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce
- 2-3 tsp salt
- about 1/2 tsp of additional salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
What to Do:
- Slice a little more than 1/2 of the zucchini into thin slices. Set aside. Cut the remaining squash into small cubed pieces. This will be used in the sauce. Set aside.
- Bring approximately 2-3 cups water to a boil in a medium-sized pot.
- Add spaghetti to pot and let boil for several minutes, according to the instructions of the type of pasta you’re using (less time for al dente, more time for softer noodles). Remove noodles from heat, drain and set aside.
- In a medium to large-sized skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, add chopped onion and saute for approximately 1-2 minutes. Add chopped garlic, stir to mix with onion, and continue to saute for another minute or so.
- Add entire bag of beefy crumbles and stir into onion and garlic mixture. Heat crumbles for about 3-4 minutes.
- Lower heat to a simmer and add sauce to skillet.
- Let sauce simmer over low heat for approximately 5-7 minutes, until sauce and beefy crumbles are fully heated through.
- Add cubed zucchini, fresh basil and salt to sauce and stir. Let simmer for another minute, then remove from heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once hot, place zucchini slice in oil in one even layer, and pan-fry the slices until they are golden brown on each side (as pictured); approximately 2-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the zucchini slices from the oil and place them on a paper towel or cloth to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Transfer a serving of pasta to a serving dish and place a serving of the bolognese sauce on top of the pasta.
- Add side of zucchini on dish and serve.
Date Posted on Instagram: 9/28/18