Indian food is one of my favorite cuisines. I love all food, but I don’t think I’d ever turn down Indian food. A stir-fry is typically associated with Asian culture — specifically Chinese cuisine. India is in Asia too, but technically, it’s South Asia. So, although this stir-fry has a title that indicates it is different from your typical Chinese stir-fry, it’s all the same good food, from people on the same continent but in different regions. Instead of considering this dish a mashup of East meets West, consider it a mashup of North meets South. And I’ll pat myself on the back for creating another multi-cultural masterpiece.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped (fresh or frozen is fine; I usually go fresh with broccoli)
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, chopped* (baby bella or white mushrooms can also be used)
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (removed from stems)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
What to Do:
- Heat a medium-sized skillet (or wok!) over medium heat with olive oil.
- Once hot, add red and yellow onion to skillet and saute for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add entire can of chickpeas to skillet and continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes, moving ingredients around pan sporadically to avoid burning.
- Add broccoli and mushrooms and continue to saute. Add in curry powder and salt and stir well into stir-fry. Continue to saute for another 3-4 minutes, stirring ingredients ever so often.
- Saute until onions are translucent and broccoli is slightly tender.
- Make sure that chickpeas do not burn or become too crispy, unless that is the desired texture you are trying to achieve. Avoid this by stirring the stir-fry frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir cilantro into stir-fry. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serve as is, over basmati rice or with naan bread.
* I used oyster mushrooms because they have a great, meaty texture and I thought it would go well with a stir-fry.
Date Posted on Instagram: 9/22/18