I didn’t discover the benefits of turmeric until after going vegan. I’m sure the spice appeared in foods I ate before then, but it’s a primary component in tofu scramble, and post-vegan, tofu scramble had become one of my favorite foods so I became very familiar with turmeric as a result. It took even longer for me to discover that turmeric had benefits such as being a natural anti-inflammatory. I only thought about it’s ability to make things yellow and it’s vibrant smell and flavor, which reminded me of all the aromatic, bright and beautiful Indian and Asian spices. But I should have known that everything Mother Nature has provided us with likely has some beneficial purpose for our insides and outsides. Then, I finally discovered golden milk lattes. Initially, putting turmeric in hot milk didn’t sound appealing– that was until I tried it– and it was delicious. Not to mention that anytime I’m aware that what I’m eating or drinking can have a positive impact on my health, it makes me like it all that much more. So cheers to you golden milk latte– I heart you and your yellow hue.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/3 cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/8 teaspoon garam masala seasoning
- 1/8-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want your latte to be)
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon coconut oil*
What to Do:
- Place a saucepan over a low simmer heat and add milk.
- Stir into the milk the garam masala seasoning and black pepper.
- Let milk sit over heat until it starts to develop steam and is hot.
- Add turmeric, cinnamon, brown sugar and coconut oil to latte.
- Stir latte to mix all ingredients well, about 20 seconds or so.
- Once latte is steaming or has come to a light boil, remove from heat immediately.
- Transfer to a mug and sprinkle with additional cinnamon on top to garnish.
* The black pepper and coconut oil are very important components for the turmeric to properly work as a natural anti-inflammatory, so don’t omit them! Find out why here.
Date Posted on Instagram: 9/18/18