Who doesn’t love tacos? After I thought about it, I realized that since going vegan, I hadn’t actually had any tacos or burritos — seriously! I’ve had variations of taco salads (this one included), but I haven’t made or bought any true, delicious, Mexican tacos or burritos. I haven’t even had any fast-food goodies from Taco Bell (hello bean burrito!) or Chipotle (mas sofritas por favor!). This made me both elated and concerned. I was elated when I realized I hadn’t eaten Chipotle or Taco Bell in a year. But I was concerned because what kind of normal, functioning human being goes one full year without having any tacos or burritos??
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/4 cup of Beyond Meat beefy crumbles
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 can of corn, drained (frozen corn can also be used)
- About 2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded or chopped
- 1/2 large avocado, cubed
- 1/2 large salad tomato, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup So Delicious cheddar jack cheese
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 2 heaping tablespoons of vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti‘s better than sour cream)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- **OPTIONAL**: 1 tablespoon white vinegar
What to Do:
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once hot, add onion and let saute for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add black beans and corn to skillet and continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in beefy crumbles, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir seasoning and crumbles into beans and corn thoroughly and continue to saute all ingredients until crumbles are heated and cooked through and onion becomes completely translucent. Remove from heat.
- If using vinegar, place romaine in a medium sized mixing bowl and add vinegar. Mix vinegar into lettuce until coated. Transfer lettuce to serving bowl.
- Spread cubed avocado and chopped tomato on top of the bed of lettuce.
- Spoon some of the taco mixture into the center of the salad, and sprinkle with the cheddar jack.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream as the dressing or add your own dressing.
Date posted on Instagram: 7/20/2018