I didn’t think it would happen but I actually created several recipes during my week of eating raw vegan. I was pleasantly surprised at my creativity level during that time. This is one of the recipes I created — a raw, chunky pesto. For this dish, I used it as a sauce but it can certainly be mixed into zoodles or cooked noodles as a pesto. It has a tangy, flavorful taste with a powerful impact on the taste buds because of the strong flavor coming from the sun-dried tomatoes. I love sun-dried tomatoes — I’ll eat them as a snack if I have them on hand. Because I love pasta so much, this recipe was great because it allowed me to feel as though I was eating spaghetti with a chunky marinara sauce. Anything that makes me feel like I’m eating spaghetti when I’m not actually eating spaghetti is a win as far as I’m concerned.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 medium-sized vine tomato, sliced into four pieces
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thickly
- 1/4 cup Italian green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
What to Do:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, except for the water.
- Pulse ingredients for about 5-10 seconds and slowly add water about 2-3 tablespoons at a time.
- Continue to pulse the pesto, until ingredients blend together. Continue adding water as necessary.
- You want the sauce to be slightly chunky so do not over-process. Also, be careful not to add to much water, as this will thin the sauce out too much.
- Serve pesto over zoodles or noodles or mix into them for a true pesto. This pesto tastes great as a raw recipe but can be heated up as well.
- Add nooch for some extra flavor!
Date posted on Instagram: 7/14/18