I LOVE alfredo sauce. Unfortunately, the classic and traditional style of this sauce is filled with dairy. However, one of the most beautiful things about my vegan journey has been discovering all the foods I can still eat without dairy or meat in them. This is another recipe I created during my raw vegan week challenge. If I’m being 100% honest, I was kind of surprised at how good it turned out! If you’ve had a chance to read my blog post on my week of eating raw, it was so good that it literally gave me the energy boost I needed to continue with the challenge during mid-week when I was getting a little tired of eating uncooked food and missed all my hot goodies. It truly reminded me of the alfredo sauces I used to eat– rich, creamy, and flavorful. So try it out and don’t say I didn’t warn you — it may very well be addictive!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup of your favorite plant-milk (I used almond milk)*
- 3-4 tablespoons of tahini
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews (can be raw but not required)
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms (cremini)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped thickly
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
What to Do:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse sauce in intervals until well blended.
- You want the sauce to be smooth and creamy; add more milk if necessary.
- Serve over noodles or veggies. Taste great as a raw recipe but can be heated up as well.
* I think almond or soy may be the best for this recipe because they are both a little thicker. Oat milk for example, is slightly thinner and the goal is to have a rich sauce. But experiment and see what works best for you and your taste buds!
** this recipe can also be made nut-free by omitting the cashews and replacing them with an additional 1 tbsp. of tahini (so, about 5 tbsp. total) and an additional 1/2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast. Combine all ingredients and blend, as in the original instructions.
Date posted on Instagram: 7/17/18
**Updated: June 14, 2019**