Sauces are great. I love fries with ketchup. I love nuggets with BBQ or sweet and sour sauce. I love tofu scram or breakfast potatoes with salsa. The list goes on. I also love a good multi-purpose, tangy sauce. And this aioli is just that. Fun fact: traditionally, an aioli was a mixture of a whole bunch of pounded garlic, mixed into an egg, lemon juice and olive oil concoction. Today, an aioli is pretty much interchangeable with mayo, but, I usually here “aioli” used when referring to more flavorful sauces than your typical, plain mayonnaise. Not only is this aioli just as sandwich-friendly as mayo, it’s anything but plain.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (I used Trader Joe’s Vegan Spread and Dressing)
- 3-4 tablespoons Thai chili sauce (I used a garlic chili pepper sauce by a brand called A Taste of Thai)*
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- the juice of 1/2 large lemon or 1 small lemon
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
What to Do:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together well and adjust seasoning amounts if necessary to suit your taste.
* This sauce is amazing! Since finding it at Whole Foods, I put it on almost everything! It has a very low heat index and focuses more on flavor. It’s SO good! It’s perfect for this aioli, but if you can’t find it at your local Whole Foods Market or are not located near a Whole Foods, simply look for a Thai chili sauce or a chili sauce at any ethnic (Asian or Indian) market, at any big-box store, Target, and of course, check your local supermarkets!
Date posted on Instagram: 8/25/18