Awhile back, I posted a poll in my Instagram story asking what I should make with some vine tomatoes and onion. The results where 60% in favor of making a sauce (the sauce beat out making a full-on meal). So here’s the sauce I came up with. A chunky, tomato and meat sauce. I actually love chunky sauces, but have never made one from scratch. I’m sure I’ll try my hand at making a few more in the future, because not only do I love pasta sauces, but sauces in general. They add tons of flavor to dishes and they’re even more fun when you can dip stuff in them, like this tangy aioli I created.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups Beyond Meat beefy crumbles
- 2 medium vine tomatoes, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste (optional, I didn’t use tomato paste and my sauce was thinner)
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley (fresh can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
What to Do:
- Heat a medium-sized saucepan over low to medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once hot, add onions and minced garlic to pan.
- Saute for approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato to pan and saute for another minute.
- Add water, salt, oregano, tomato paste (optional) and parsley (only if using dried parsley. If using fresh, do not add parsley yet).
- Stir all ingredients and reduce heat to simmer. Cover saucepan with lid and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until water has reduced by about half.
- Add Beyond Meat crumbles, fresh basil, and if using fresh parsley, add that to sauce as well and stir.
- Let simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- Let sauce sit for approximately 5 minutes to settle.
- Serve sauce over pasta. I used an organic spinach spaghetti pasta. Don’t forget the nooch!
Date posted on Instagram: 7/9/18