This was my first Spring seasonal salad. As the weather warms up, I want to start incorporating fresh, warm weather seasonal ingredients. I also love salads so this was a win/win. I used pineapple and tropical nuts to liven up this colorful and lively salad.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/4 of a block of firm organic tofu, cubed
- 5-6 full leaves of kale, chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot, slivered*
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen pineapple pieces
- 1/8 cup of macadamia nuts
- 1/8 cup of almonds
- 3 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
What to Do:
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add cubed tofu and pan-fry for 7-8 minutes, or until cubes are golden brown.
- Remove tofu from skillet, and lay on a dry cloth to remove excess oil (if desired). Place slivered carrots in oil and reduce heat to low.
- Saute carrots for approximately 2-3 minutes, leaving them crisp.
- Set carrots and tofu aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in skillet on low-medium heat.
- Once hot, add pineapple pieces and saute until a nice char forms on the pieces, being sure to stir consistently so that the pieces don’t burn.
- Place kale, carrot slivers, macadamia nuts, almonds and tofu in a large mixing bowl.
- Add vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss salad to mix dressing and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer salad to serving bowl and top with charred pineapple. Bon appetit!
* I used a vegetable peeler to sliver the carrot but use whatever kitchen tool works best for you or whatever you have at your disposal to achieve carrot slivers.
Date posted on Instagram: 5/12/18