Indian food is definitely in my top three favorite cuisines. The flavors and spices are all amazing. My all-time favorite pre-vegan Indian dish was chicken tikka masala. Now that I’m vegan, all I had to do to still be able to enjoy this dish was replace the chicken with tofu! This is also another dish in which I used a longer marinating process to make sure the flavor impact was 100%!
ATTENTION: This recipe requires 24 hours of prep time! Please plan accordingly!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 block of firm organic tofu, sliced into cubes
- 2 full leaves of kale, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups of tikka masala sauce ( I used Target’s Simply Balanced brand tikka masala sauce)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- container with airtight lid (to marinate the tofu in)
What to Do:
- Place cubed tofu in container. Add all spices (salt, ginger, cumin and curry powder) inside container and cover tofu pieces with spice mixture, making sure all pieces are fully covered.
- Cover container with lid and place in fridge to marinate for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove marinated tofu from fridge and set aside to become room temperature whenever you’re ready to make the recipe.
- Prepare rice in a small saucepan (boil water, add rice, stir and bring to a boil again, turn heat to a low simmer, cover and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes or so– use approximately 1 3/4 cup of water for every one cup of rice). Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on medium heat with 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add marinated tofu pieces and pan-fry for approximately 7-8 minutes, or until tofu pieces have a golden brown crisp to them.
- Lower heat to a simmer and add tikka masala sauce and chopped kale to skillet.
- Simmer until kale becomes tender and sauce heats up fully.
- Transfer rice to a serving dish.
- Transfer tofu tikka masala on top of rice. Bon appetit!
* I also have a quick recipe for a homemade tikka masala sauce from my soup recipe!
Date posted on Instagram: 3/28/18