Brussel Sprouts are one of my “food baes”. They have such a unique flavor, but not only that– I’m also fascinated by their appearance. They’re like mini balls of cabbage– well they are literally mini balls of cabbage– sprouts are in the cabbage family. But they also just look like mini balls of some shrunken vegetable that surely had to be bigger at one point because of they density and layers, and were likely harvested in a ginormous form on some other planet…okay, I’m getting carried away. They are also another versatile veggie and versatility is key for anyone cooking on a budget. Here, I spruced up my spouts a bit using some sauce and spice.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 cup of Trader Joe’s kale, cashew and basil vegan pesto
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
What to Do:
- Heat a skillet on medium heat with 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add brussel sprouts (be careful of oil splatter!) and pan-fry for approximately 8-9 minutes or until the sprouts get a crispy coating on the outer layer.*
- Reduce heat and add pesto sauce.
- Stir and cover all sprouts in sauce and let simmer for about a minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Transfer sprouts to serving dish and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Bon appetit!
* Sprouts are one of the few items that I think actually taste better the more crispy or burnt they are! Try leaving them in for an even longer time– the flavor is enhanced with the crispy texture and coating (in my opinion).
Date posted on Instagram: 4/5/18