Chickpeas are delicious and they’re also a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. I love adding them to salads, but they are such a versatile legume that you can do so much with them in any meal– I’ve even made meatballs with them! Here, I created a tangy salad using some sauteed chickpeas along with seitan and some other goodies. Seitan is also a protein dream when it comes to vegan fare, so this salad is pretty much a great post-workout meal or just great when you want to feel healthy and light but also full and satisfied!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cups of baby spinach, preferably organic (I use Earthbound brand organic spinach)
- 1 cup of Upton Natural’s original seitan in chunks (or another brand of seitan that you prefer)
- 1/2 can of chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup of pickled banana peppers with juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
What to Do:
- Prepare rice in a small saucepan (boil water, add rice, stir and bring to a boil again, turn heat to a low simmer, cover and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes or so– use approximately 1 3/4 cup of water for every one cup of rice). Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on low-medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add chickpeas and saute for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add seitan chunks and continue to saute for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and cook all items for about 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously so as not to burn the ingredients but let them get a golden brown crisp to them.
- Once onions are translucent and have caramelized a bit, remove mixture from heat.
- In a large bowl, add spinach, cooked rice, banana peppers with juice and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently mix all ingredients well.
- Transfer salad to a serving bowl.
- Top off salad with some of the seitan and chickpea mixture.
- Add a dressing if desired, but the olive oil and banana pepper vinegar dressing is amazing to me! Bon appetit!
Date posted on Instagram: 3/22/18