I love Mexican food! It’s one of my favorite cuisines. Looking at things from a different perspective once I went vegan, it was interesting to realize that a lot of staple foods in Mexican cuisine are naturally vegan! This is a mash-up of two of my favorite foods: salads and Mexican!
What You’ll Need:
- 3-4 cups of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup scallion, chopped
- 1/4 cup of bell pepper, chopped (I used a mixture of red, orange and yellow bell peppers)
- 1/2 fully ripened, large avocado (soft enough that it will mash easily)
- 1/4 cup of vegan shredded cheese (try Daiya’s pepperjack or So Delicious’s cheddar jack flavors)
- 1/4 cup of canned green chilies
- 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/2 cup of refried beans (make sure that they don’t contain lard, as some brands use this which is derived from animal fat and is therefore NOT vegan!)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- salt and pepper
What to Do:
- Spread shredded romaine in a bowl.
- In a small dish, mash avocado into a guacamole consistency.
- Place onion, scallion, peppers, cheese, mashed avo, green chilies, salsa, and refried beans on top of lettuce, in a circle. I put the refried beans in the center and everything else around the beans.
- Sprinkle cilantro on top of refried beans.
- Sprinkle chia seeds over all ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add a dressing of your choice; I ate it as is because it was already flavorful to me but dress it up however you like. Bon appetit!
Date posted on Instagram: 2/6/18