Staple foods are great go-to’s for quick and filling meals. One of the best staple grains is rice, but I also love quinoa and it has definitely become more of a staple in my diet. Some of my go-to veggies are kale and mushrooms. So versatile and with so many health benefits, you can never really go wrong using them in a variety of dishes and that is exactly what I do! I use them is so many things I make. This dish combines all three staples for a savory masterpiece.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 bag white quinoa (I used Trader Joe’s organic white quinoa)
- 5-6 full leaves of kale, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups white button mushroom, chopped (can also use cremini but I like white button as a stand alone– substituting is better if the mushroom is an add-in to other ingredients.)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- cilantro for garnish
- 4 teaspoons essential seasoning blend*
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
What to Do:
- Prepare quinoa in a saucepan according to directions (best results occur when you prepare the quinoa uncovered, then place a cover on after the water has been absorbed and let the quinoa air in the steam for about 5 minutes). Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, add mushrooms and saute for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add onion and 2 teaspoons seasoning blend to mushrooms and stir.
- Continue to saute until onions are translucent and mushrooms caramelize a bit.
- Set mushroom mixture aside, and heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet.
- Once hot, add chopped kale and 2 teaspoons seasoning blend and saute until kale is tender.
- Transfer quinoa, mushrooms and kale to a serving dish. Garnish quinoa with cilantro. Bon appetit!
* Essential seasoning blend can be found on the recipes page.
Date posted on Instagram: 2/15/18