The flavors in this dish bring only one word to mind: firecracker! It’s spicy, intense, and pungent– far from a dull flavor profile and definitely not for those afraid to try a little spice in their meal! Tofu is featured as the main protein here, and this was my first attempt at marinating tofu for a really. long. time.
ATTENTION: This recipe requires 72 hours of prep time! Please plan accordingly!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1/3 of a block of firm organic tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 of a medium-sized red bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1/4 of a medium-sized green bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 small white onion, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Thai green curry simmer sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- medium-sized container with air-tight lid (for marinating the tofu)
What to Do:
- In a medium-sized container place the cubed tofu in, along with the red curry paste. Use your hands or a spoon to fully mix the paste on all the tofu pieces, making sure all the pieces are covered. Drizzle vinegar over tofu pieces. Put lid on container and place in fridge to marinate for three days or 72 hours.*
- After 72 hours, remove tofu from fridge and set aside to become room temp. once you are ready to make the recipe.
- Prepare rice in a small saucepan (boil water, add rice, stir and bring to a boil again, turn heat to a low simmer, cover and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes or so– use approximately 1 3/4 cup of water for every one cup of rice). Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on medium heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add red and green peppers and let peppers cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add marinated tofu pieces to skillet and stir (careful of oil splatter!)
- Continue cooking and then add onions and jalapeño. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, letting some of the tofu pieces brown just a bit, and stirring occasionally so nothing burns– even if all of the tofu pieces have not browned, add the simmer sauce and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Add minced cilantro, salt and garlic powder and stir.
- Continue to simmer tofu for approximately 5-7 minutes, until the sauce is very aromatic and the onions are translucent.
- Transfer cooked rice to a serving dish.
- Transfer some of the firecracker tofu to the serving dish.
- If desired, garnish plate with the remainder of the jalapeño. Bon appetit!
* I marinated the tofu for this recipe for 72 hours but it is not a requirement. However, the flavor impact was insane and I am absolutely certain that it was because of the marinating time. Like anything, the longer you marinate it for, the more powerful the flavor will become. Because the dish has loud flavors, I wanted the marinade to have a really big impact, so I suggest marinating for the full 72 hours, and if you can, even 96 hours!
Date posted on Instagram: 3/5/18