I love bagels. Okay, I love carbs in general. They give you energy and they taste amazing in almost any form they come in, but particularly in bread form– what more could you ask for in a food?! Finding out that the majority of bagels were already naturally vegan was a dream come true. Bagels are such a staple in my city, in fact they’re considered a signature food here, so you can literally find them just about anywhere. So both me and my tummy were very happy to discover this. Here’s one of my favorite quick and simple meals– a classic bagel with cream cheese, reinvented as a sandwich. And by reinvented, I mean I added some veggies, and voila, it’s a sandwich!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 bagel of your choice– I used my favorite, an everything bagel*
- 1 tub of vegan cream cheese of your choice (I used Trader Joe’s vegan cream cheese alternative)
- 2 full leaves of kale, broken in half and stems removed
- 3-4 slices of tomato
- salt and pepper
What to Do:
- Toast bagel to desired level (or leave un-toasted!).
- Spread cream cheese on each half of bagel.
- On the bottom half of the bagel, place kale leaves.
- Place tomato slices on top of kale.
- Add salt and pepper to taste on top of veggies**.
- Place top half of bagel over veggies.
- Slice in half and serve. Bon appetit!
* Not all bagels are vegan! I was extremely disappointed when I found this out, because I thought all bagels– with the exception of egg bagels, were vegan! Be careful when choosing your bagels!
** You can also try adding the essential seasoning blend instead of just salt and pepper for a more savory and interesting flavor profile! The blend can be found on the recipes page.
Date posted on Instagram: 2/5/18