Dump Skillet meals are ideas for meals to create with fresh produce– specifically fresh produce that is on its way out. Sometimes we don’t know what to make or what we can do with a bunch of veggies because we aren’t used to using produce as the star of our meals or as the only components of our meals. Hopefully these ideas will inspire you!
- about 1/4 to 1/2 a head of cabbage*
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, sliced
- 5 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 a (past) ripened avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup of canned organic black beans, drained
- 1/8 cup of banana peppers (with the juice)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon parsely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
What to do:
- If cooking from scratch, saute cabbage in a skillet with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil until it reaches desired tenderness (see below).*
- If using leftover cabbage, in a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on low-medium heat.
- Once hot, add mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Saute until veggies are tender; then reduce heat to a simmer and add black beans to skillet.
- Continue to cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, then add cabbage to skillet.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until cabbage is heated.
- Add banana peppers with juice and salt, and stir.
- Transfer cabbage mix to a serving plate.
- Top with avocado slices and sprinkle with parsley. Bon appetit!
* For this recipe, I was using cabbage that was already made– my mom gave me a lot of cabbage that she made, but I didn’t use it all and as opposed to freezing it, I used it in this dump skillet meal before it went bad! If you’re using cabbage that is leftover, add the cabbage to the skillet after you add the mushrooms, bell peppers and black beans, just to heat it up.
Cabbage is really versatile and can be cooked in many ways but I’m used to having sauteed cabbage. In a large pot or skillet, put a little olive oil in, and once it heats up add the cabbage. Saute it for a bit then fill with a little water– just enough to slightly cover the bottom of the pan but not too much. Let the cabbage continue to saute on about medium heat until it reaches the desired tenderness. Shout out to my mom for her simple sauteed cabbage recipe! 😀
Date posted on Instagram: 5/19/18