Everyone knows that a burger with no bun is an easy way to cut calories and some carbs, making it a bit healthier. But how about a vegan burger with no bun? And how about a vegan burger, with no bun– turned into a salad?! It just keeps getting better.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Thai sweet chili veggie burger patty (from Trader Joe’s)
- 3 full kale leaves (I left mine whole, but you can also chop them, which would make it an actual salad 🙂 )
- 1/2 of 1 medium salad tomato, cut into slices
- 1/4 white onion, split into rings (just slice the onion from the whole and carefully separate the rings)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cilantro
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon essential seasoning blend*
What to Do:
- Heat a small skillet with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in it to medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add mushrooms to skillet.
- Saute mushrooms for approximately 3-4 minutes, then add onion rings to skillet.
- Continue to saute for another 4-5 minutes, until mushrooms and onion rings are tender and have a little crispy char to them (you don’t have to saute until they get charred, but for this dish I thought it tasted better to have that charred flavor with the burger!).
- Remove veggies from heat.
- Take out onion rings and set aside.
- Add cilantro and essential seasoning blend to mushrooms in skillet and stir; set aside.
- In another skillet (or set the mushroom/cilantro mix aside and use the same skillet), heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, place burger patty in skillet and pan-fry for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- In a serving dish, arrange kale.
- Add burger patty, tomatoes, onion, mushroom mix, and sliced avocado on top of kale– arrange ingredients however you would like.
- Serve as is or add your favorite dressing. Bon appetit!
* Essential seasoning blend can be found on the recipes page.
Date posted on Instagram: 1/30/18