Dump Skillet meals are ideas for meals to create with fresh produce– specifically fresh produce that is on its way out. Sometimes we don’t know what to make or what we can do with a bunch of veggies because we aren’t used to using produce as the star of our meals or as the only components of our meals. Hopefully these ideas will inspire you!
- 2 small rainbow carrots, chopped
- About 4-5 full leaves of kale, chopped
- About half a green pepper, chopped
- About 1/4 of a small jalapeño pepper, chopped
- About 5 white button mushrooms, chopped
- About 1/4 of a small white onion, chopped
- Small baked sweet potato
- tiny bit of shredded red cabbage (optional)
- 1 tablespoon essential seasoning*
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- rub sweet potato in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil
- Place sweet potato on center rack and bake for approximately 45 minutes, until sweet potato is tender.**
- Heat a medium skillet on low-medium heat with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in it.
- Once hot start adding veggies to skillet; add the hardest veggies first then the softest or the ones that will take the least amount of time to become tender. In this case I added them to the skillet in the following order: carrots, bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, mushroom, onion, then added the kale in last.Wait approximately 1-2 minutes between adding each new veggie to skillet to let what’s in the skillet saute for a bit.
- Once onions are translucent and kale is soft, add essential seasoning and stir into veggie mixture.
- Add red wine vinegar if you want an acidic kick to the veggies.
- Once sweet potato is tender, remove from oven and either keep whole or mash into mashed sweet potato.
- Transfer veggies to serving plate.
- Transfer sweet potato to serving plate and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bon appetit!
*Essential seasoning mix can be found on the recipes page.
** On the Instagram post, I stated that I made this meal quickly in about 20 minutes. That’s because the sweet potato was already baked from earlier in the week (I made a bunch of them to meal prep), so I just re-heated it in the oven which took only a few minutes. If time is an issue them make the sweet potato ahead of time or omit it from the recipe and just enjoy the veggies!
Date posted on Instagram: 2/10/18