Every vegan loves a good tofu scramble! This is the quintessential breakfast staple that will make you say “what eggs?”
What You’ll Need:
- About 1/4-1/3 of a block of medium-firm organic tofu
- About 1/3 of a small white onion, sliced into pieces
- 1 full leaf of kale, chopped into pieces
- About 3 white button mushrooms, sliced
- About 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- About 1 teaspoon of essential seasoning blend*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of low-sodium vegetable broth (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black salt (kala namak)**
What to Do:
- Heat a small pan on low-medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in it.
- Once hot, add mushrooms (be careful of oil splatter!) and onion.
- Saute for approximately 2 minutes, until onion is translucent, then add kale.
- Continue to saute until all veggies are tender, approximately 5 minutes. Feel free to leave on heat for a few extra minutes if you want your veggies a little crispier and more caramelized, but be careful not to burn them! Set veggie mixture aside.
- Heat small pan on low-medium heat with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in it.
- Once hot, crumble tofu into pan. You can add tofu block straight into the pan and crumble it to pieces with a spatula or other cooking utensil as well — I prefer to use my hands to crumble and break it apart as I am adding it to the pan.
- Add turmeric to tofu one teaspoon at a time, mixing spice into tofu fully before adding the next teaspoon.
- Let tofu sit over heat for approximately a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For “fluffy scramble”, add in one tablespoon of veggie broth and mix fully into scramble before adding the next tablespoon of broth (this is optional! I like my scram just fine without the broth, but its nice to try every once in awhile!).
- Continue to let tofu heat, and stir occasionally, leaving scram over heat for approximately 7-8 minutes**.
- Remove from heat and place on serving dish.
- Add kale, mushroom and onion mix on the side or on top of tofu scram.
- Garnish with sun-dried tomatoes and serve. Bon appetit!
* Essential seasoning blend can be found on the recipes page.
** I like to wait until I get just a few dark spots on the scramble (not a lot) but when I originally made this recipe I only left it on the heat for about 5-6 minutes. It didn’t get any dark spots, but it was still delicious– I discovered how I prefer my tofu scram through trial and error, like most things!
*** Also, feel free to add about a teaspoon of black salt, also known as “kala namak”. This salt can give your egg substitutes a more “egg-like” taste! I recently got some and have tried adding it to some of my vegan eggs, although I still love tofu scram without it. This salt can be found in Asian or Indian markets but I found a decent size bulk amount on Amazon for a great price. Do a little research to price check!
Date posted on Instagram: 1/13/18