A healthier take on the classic dish of pasta and meatballs, but with the same vibrant flavors, and of course, cruelty-free!
What You’ll Need:
- About 5-6 rainbow carrots — use a variety of colors for health benefits, plus it looks a lot prettier 🙂
- 1 bag of Gardein meatless meatballs
- 1 can of Trader Joe’s fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Approximately 2 tsp. of the essential seasoning blend*
What to Do:
- Finely chop basil and set aside.
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut rainbow carrots into long slivers and strips. This will be your “pasta”. Set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized pan on low-medium heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it.
- Once hot, add several meatballs to the oil (be careful of oil splatter!) and pan-fry the meatballs until brown and fully heated through. To ensure that the meatballs are heated all the way through (and to make the cooking time quicker) you can cover the skillet with the lid. But you might get a crispier result if you take the extra minutes to heat them without a lid– the extra moisture that occurs when you have a lid on might take away some of the crispness. Set meatballs aside (if desired, place on a cloth or paper towel to drain excess liquid).
- Heat another medium-sized pan (or use the same one!) with 1 tablespoon of olive oil in it.
- Once warm, add in carrot pasta and let saute, stirring occasionally.
- Cook carrots on low heat until they are no longer hard but still have a little crunch (approximately 5-7 minutes).
- In a small saucepan, empty fire-roasted tomatoes and heat sauce on low heat.
- Add in basil, meatballs and essential seasoning blend and heat until sauce is hot, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer rainbow carrot pasta to serving dish, and spoon about 1/2 cup of sauce on top.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve. Bon appetit!
* Essential seasoning blend can be found on the recipes page.
Date posted on Instagram: 1/5/18